From the people who brought you Wonderful Pistachios and POM Wonderful, Wonderful Halos give families, and their little angels, a healthy snack alternative that’s filled with “pure goodness.”
Wonderful Halos mandarins are:
- A sweet, seedless and easy to peel snack that’s a healthy alternative to fatty foods
- About 50 calories delivering 45 percent of the recommended daily value of vitamin C
In season November through April, Halos are easy to pack in lunches, great to share at kid’s activities and sporting events, and make a healthy snack choice any time of the day. Not only are they the perfect (healthy) snack to include in your Easter baskets or decorate your Easter table, but they also make for a great addition to family friendly recipes that are great for Easter entertaining! We have a variety of delicious recipes including our Mandarin and Chicken Quinoa Bowl and Mandarin Prosciutto Bruschetta Bites. Not to mention Halos would be great for any Easter crafts you may have coming up – paint your Halos like you paint your Easter eggs or stick bunny ears on your Halos for easy, cute, and healthy décor!
Wonderful Halos Mandarin & Quinoa Chicken Bowls
Prep: 15 minutes | Time to Table: 30 minutes | Serves 4
Quinoa is hearty, healthy, and easy to make. Spoon it into a bowl and top it with Wonderful Halos mandarins, grilled chicken, cilantro, black beans, and savory chipotle lime vinaigrette for dinner or a packed lunch.
Mandarin and Quinoa Chicken Bowls
4 Wonderful Halos mandarins, peeled and segmented
- cup quinoa
¾ teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon chili powder
¾ teaspoon ground cumin
- boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 cups baby spinach
1 15-ounce can black beans, drained
1 small red bell pepper, sliced
1 avocado, pitted and sliced
1 scallion, sliced
Chipotle Lime Vinaigrette
¼ cup lime juice
- garlic clove, sliced in half
- tablespoons honey
- teaspoons adobo sauce, from canned chipotle in adobo
1 teaspoon kosher salt 1/3 cup olive oil
- Cook quinoa according to package directions and set aside to cool.
- Heat a grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Mix together the salt, chili powder and cumin and rub on chicken. Grill chicken on both sides until cooked through; set aside to cool, then slice.
- Make chipotle lime vinaigrette: Whisk together the lime juice, garlic, honey, adobo sauce, salt and olive oil. Then discard halved garlic cloves.
- Peel Wonderful Halos mandarins and separate segments.
- Spoon quinoa into 4 bowls. Top each bowl with some spinach, black beans, bell pepper, avocado, Wonderful Halos mandarin segments and sliced chicken.
Drizzle each with vinaigrette and sprinkle with scallions to serve.
Tip: If making ahead for lunch, pack vinaigrette separately so bowl stays fresh
Wonderful Halos Prosciutto Bruschetta Bites
Prep: 20 minutes | Time to Table: 45 minutes | Makes 25
Toasted crostini is topped with a little slice of savory prosciutto, Wonderful Halos mandarin segments and shallot chutney for a sweet and salty appetizer bursting with flavor.
1 cup Wonderful Halos mandarin segments, roughly chopped
1 baguette, sliced and toasted olive oil, bowl for brushing baguette
- teaspoon olive oil
- cups shallots, sliced
½ teaspoon kosher salt
½ cup white balsamic vinegar
½ cup brown sugar
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon crushed coriander seeds
13 slices prosciutto
1/3 cup toasted hazelnuts, crushed
1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- Heat oven to 375ºF. Slice baguette thinly, brush with olive oil and bake until just toasted. Let cool.
- Make Wonderful Halos mandarin chutney: In a skillet over medium heat, sauté the shallot and salt in 1 tablespoon olive oil until soft and translucent, about 20 minutes. Add the vinegar, brown sugar, bay leaf and coriander seeds and let simmer until vinegar is reduced and almost gone. Add the Wonderful Halos mandarin segments and stir; remove from heat.
Follow Halos for more fun!