What Age Should You Transition To Senior Cat Food?
We have three cats. I always say we are one cat shy of me being a ‘crazy cat lady.’ All three cats are different ages and so it is hard to know who should be getting what type of food. I always knew how long a young cat should receive kitten food (until they are one-year-old) but I never knew I was suppose to transition our older cats to senior cat food. I never really paid attention to a cat food called senior cat food. I always thought that was for old cats, like 10-15+ years old. Well, turns out I was wrong.
Brief Intro To Our Cats
Our three cats are:
- Turtle. 7 month-old male. He loves to cuddle and is cute when he is sleeping. He is also a pain in the butt because he has so much energy, and I think because he is male too. He likes to chase Pumpkin around the house and harass her. Currently he has a ‘cone of shame’ on his neck. Pumpkin was sick of him and bit him in the back and it got infected.
- Pumpkin. Almost 7-year-old female. She had a sister, Cheetah, that passed away two years ago. Pumpkin used to be a ‘mouser’ (word from Little House on the Prairie) and bring in all sorts of ‘gifts’ for use from outside. Some 1/2 alive still. I won’t go into details on how gross it was. She is starting to mellow out and sleep a lot more.
- Jett. Almost 10-years-old and a chill, relaxed cat. She likes to eat and sleep. Preferable where it is sunny or warm. She is often found hiding under my comforter, sleeping against the pillows. She is grumpy and has acted old since she was about 2-years-old. She mostly ignores the other two cats.
Get your own discount on pet food using my personal code:PS116ZW997 at www.petcurean.com/pawsome & claim a $5 off coupon for Petcurean pet food.
Here Is What I learned
Turtle should be on kitten food until he is 1-year-old. I knew he should still be on it but wasn’t exactly sure until what age. We feed the cats separately since kittens need higher fat in their food (higher metabolism) and we don’t want the older two eating kitten food and putting on weight. I like Petcurean Now Fresh kitten food. It is 100% fresh turkey, salmon and duck and is grain-free.
For Pumpkin and Jett I learned they are old enough to be on senior cat food. It is important for weight management so they have a long, healthy life. I like Petcurean Now Fresh Senior cat food with weight management. It is also made of 100% turkey, salmon and duck and is grain-free. The age to transfer from adult cat food to senior food is 7-years-old.
Jett & Pumpkin Eating Senior Cat Food & Turtle Watching Them In The Background.
How To Transfer Cats To A New Food
It’s important to slowly transition your pet to a new food so their system has a chance to adapt to the change. The transition period should be at minimum, ten days and could take upwards of two weeks, depending on your pet’s sensitivity to change:
- Day 1 & 2: Feed 80% of your pet’s old food with 20% of the new food.
- Day 3 & 4: Feed 60% of your pet’s old food with 40% of the new food.
- Day 5 & 6: Feed 40% of your pet’s old food with 60% of the new food.
- Day 7, 8 & 9: Feed 20% of your pet’s old food with 80% of the new food.
- Day 10 & Forever: Feed 100% new food.
Pay attention to them having a upset digestive system, them refusing to eat or any vomiting. If any of these occur you might want to slow down the transition and make it stretch out a few more days longer. You want to keep your cat’s health as a priority and make sure the transition is smooth.
Right now you can enter to win your own pet food. Giveaway is for one 6lb bag dog kibble or one 4lb bag cat kibble, winner’s choice. Winner must live in the Continental U.S. and be of the age 18-years-old, or older. Winner choose which one (cat or dog food) and let’s us know.
Please include the following in your post: “This post was made possible by iConnect and Petcurean. I was compensated for my participation in this campaign, but all opinions are 100% mine.“