Top 10 Hacks to Make Office Spaces Better Suited for Productive Work
Having a healthy workspace is one of the crucial elements to have the right work-life balance. This can be achieved by both you as well the employer. While there are some psychological factors which can work on helping relax your brain like optimum work pressure, realistic deadlines, positive feedback, open dialogue with the boss etc., there are certain external factors which make the workplace more employees friendly and generate a healthy environment to achieve the much-needed peace of mind. Few of such external hacks are mentioned below. These go a long way in making the work more interesting and more productive.
- Light- The biggest and the best source of light is the Sun. Workplaces light up the best in natural sunlight. Natural light is also known to light up the mood and bring a sense of positivity. Office cabins and cubicles set near windows help employees focus better on work, releases the mental pressure and brings up loyalty towards the company. This works best with a nice scenic outside view. Apart from the natural light, light fittings in the office should also be chosen carefully. Too bright or too dull lighting strains the eyes and the mind. White light is ideal for the working area and warm yellow lights can be used for the corridors or the leisure areas. You can also play around artistically with LED wall panels and textured wall panels to enhance the effect.
- Colour- There are multiple ways in which you can introduce the perfect colors in the office spaces. Many employers are going for a theme based environment where red, white and black décor represent the cards theme or just white and black décor representing the chessboard theme to keep the employees motivated and inculcate healthy competition. You can also go for a complete overhaul with something like nautical theme décor etc. Most popular ideas being abstract and minimalist ones. These are achieved effortlessly by various textured wall panels, interior stone wall panels and decorative ceiling panels.
- White Noise- This is another effective way to increase productivity at workplaces. You can install mini speakers at various places to have a continuous flow of white noise in the office premises. This helps maintain a calm mind at all times and lightens up the mood manifold. To amplify the effect, noise canceling floors and walls can be used in addition. Also, to avoid loud talks acoustic panels should be used in meeting rooms of assembly rooms.
- Fitness- Short bits of workplace fitness should be encouraged as much. While sitting chair exercises and stretches should never be frowned upon, short walks in between working hours should be introduced to clear the mind off of any tension. This also helps in out-of-the-box-thinking. There can be secluded corridors especially built for short walks, in-house fitness classes or even sleeping pods for power naps. Fit body enhances creativity in life and, hence, physical fitness activities in the office should be a part of daily routine for the employees.
- Personal Items- Decorating your own bay or desk with personalized items gives a greater sense of belonging to the company. It keeps you attached to the happier memories all the time while you work. This can include pictures of family, friends and pets or small decorative objects. Personalized messages from peers are also a great way to mingle with peers. Messages can also be in the form of motivational quotes written on the desks or the café area.
- Hobbies – Best boss is the one who admires and encourages the culture to adjust employee hobbies. People can bring along musical instruments, paint brushes or books to chill off in between a hectic day at work. Cubicles to practice individual or group hobbies can be made or even a secluded open space dedicated to the recreational activities can be introduced.
- Avoid Distractions- For more focused work, the cubicles and the desks can be installed with shields and partitions. The passageways can be separated with divider screens giving it a nice look and feel too. There are many options available to do so. These can be implemented at each desk or even in each area of the floor. These dividers come in vivid colors and designs and add to the spark of office life. Such are the encouraging patterns that they are built with the help of professional psychologists to increase harmony and peace in the environment,
- Nature- Indoor plants help people bring closer to nature even while working. Where strategic placement of plants and flower pots near the desk area are a good way to start, decorating the hallway with vertical gardens is a sure-shot way to have different varieties in the same place. Hanging pots are the best bet if the floor space is a little congested. Indoor plants soothe the eyes, purify the air and are the best aesthetics too. If maintenance a hassle then synthetic plants can be the option. With artificial plants the decorative options are many. Synthetic turfs, hedges, exotic plants and even high maintenance trees can be easily installed indoors.
- Pets- Nothing lifts up your mood better than seeing your pet after a long day of work. An even better way to do so is if you can bring along your pet to work. If the rulebooks can be modified then having a pet day once a week or even a permanent pet area to keep the pets for the entire day at work. This way you can have a little pet time at work too.
- Technology- The most important asset of your office can also be the one which brings down the productivity of the employees the most. Regular tech refreshes at the individual as well as the entire workforce level should be a mandate. Patch updates and latest technological advancements which enhance the productivity and bring down the turnaround time of general tasks should be given priority at managerial level.