Upgrade The Attic Into The Perfect Guest Room
The attic is the space in your home that is mostly ignored and left empty or used for storage. But if you give it some thought, this is a waste of space. Do you need an extra room or a room exclusively for guests? If you clean this space and make some changes you can easily upgrade it into a perfect guest room.
It might be a little tricky to work with a small space and minimal natural light. But it is not impossible. With some effort, you can convert your attic into a perfect guest room that is warm and cozy. Here are tips to help you upgrade your attic into a guest room
- Measure your space– Remove all the storage items and clear the attic. Once you have an empty space you will have a clear idea of how much space is available for use. It will be easier to plan your décor. Measure the entire space. This will help you choose the best fitting furniture. Make sure that you consider every corner and narrow passage in your planning and utilize it.
- Brighten the space – choose bright colors for your walls. This will instantly open up space. Using multiple colors or dark shades can make space look smaller. Go for light shades like white, sky blue, beige or brighter colors like yellow to brighten the place.
Do not worry that neutral shade might make the place look boring. You can go for bright patterns or prints to add a pop of color. You can also create an accent wall and have a contrast color or decorative wall panels. An accent wall works great if you have a straight wall in your attic.
- Showcase your ceiling – the slanted ceiling in the attic has great visual appeal. Accept it and highlight it. Slanted ceiling with additional windows allows natural light and ventilation. Neutral colors for walls and bright colors for slant ceiling look great. Stripes also work very well for slanted ceilings. Avoid using too many colors as it makes the room appear small and lead to visual clutter. Wooden ceiling gives a cozy and castle-like theme to your attic. Go for wood plank ceiling to create a warm and comfortable effect in the attic
Exposed wood and beams are an integral part of your attic. They give a rustic and contemporary look to your space. Plan your decorations by embracing it. Accentuate these feature rather than trying to change our cover them up.
- Storage space – do not install too many shelves and cabinets. They give a claustrophobic feel to your room. Go for built-in storage spaces. Choose built-in bed or desk with drawers and storage space. Conventional storage units like shelves and cupboards are not an ideal choice for the attic. Go for customized storage that fit perfectly in your attic.
- Furniture – go for low-level furnishing. Using furniture of lowers level will make the ceiling appear much higher. Choose a floor bed if it works for you. A low-level coffee table with floor cushions creates a comfortable space. Keep furniture to a minimum. The attic is usually small space, overcrowding them with furniture give a cramped look. Fewer items will allow for easy movement around the room. Preferably place your bed in the middle where the ceiling is highest. Every attic is different. Choose furniture that suits you the best.
Assess your space before you buy furniture. Get the measurement to know what fits in your attic and always plan based on space available to move furniture in and out of your attic. Choose furniture that can be dismantled and reassembled if you have narrow spaces.
- Lighting – natural lighting works best for your attic. Go for large windows or skylights that allow ample natural light. And they bring the night sky in and create a beautiful effect. If you have a large attic with a high ceiling, go for a pendant light or small lights hanging at various heights. If you have low ceilings choose wall lights or floor lamps. Choose to light based the on the size of your attic and the mood you would like to create. Avoid lights that give out more heat.
- Flooring – Painting the floor is an ideal choice for the attic. They reflect more light and make it look larger. If you cannot afford expensive wooden flooring, go for plain wooden flooring and paint it to look attractive. Paint the floor with a color that you love. A room with neutral color walls can be brought to life with contrast color floor paint.
If painting the whole floor is not appealing to you, go patterns and designs on a small fraction of your wooden flooring to give a fresh look. Rugs are a beautiful addition to any room. They add color and a sense of comfort. Choose a suitable rug that enhances the look of your attic. If the rug is expensive, you can always go for painted rugs. You might have to hire an artist to get the right look, but it is definitely a great design element for your attic
- Decor tips – if you have a small attic with low ceilings go for minimalist decor to avoid a cramped look. Try to introduce contrast in texture. Textured wall panels, felt panels, wall murals can add a textural element and elevate the look of your attic.
Converting an attic into a guest room is one of the best ways to utilize this space. Attic rooms are very appealing and have a special charm. Design your room based on the size and height of your attic. Do not clutter your attic with too many accessories. Always go for neutral design and introduce a contrast element. Every room needs a focal point to make it look interesting. Understanding the space in your attic and planning the interiors based on it is the best way to create a well-designed guest room.